Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Inktober 2017

Inktober boils down to making one ink artwork per day, every day during October. So some days you have more or less time and other days you can ruin it, especially since ink splotches are hard to fix. But it's important to look trough the month as one whole experience. I decided to push myself this month, using all of my free time every day instead of a static one hour or less like last year. So some works had one or two hours, and some of them went on for a whole afternoon. I did not follow any prompt list.

This year's Inktober was all about brushes, sepia and water. I avoided doing the classical ink dispersal in water and tried to go for a controlled painterly style. While I started working on several topics (they are at the end) I realized I wanted to do portraits, so on day seven I jumped into exclusively doing portraits of friends, family and celebrities I like. The choice of subject was connected to the mood of the day, conversations with people during the month as well as finding a good photo which was readable from a small phone screen (~12 cm). Other times I asked friends and family to take a selfie and send it to me or simply recommend someone which they like.

Why did I do this? Because I love ink. Please enjoy my work.

Materials: sepia ink, black ink, brushes, water, white graphite, Chinese white, 300 gr A3 paper.




Jane Goodall

Whoopi Goldberg

Toshiro Mifune

Stanley Kubrick

Werner Herzog

Catherine Deneuve

Mads Mikkelsen

Grace Jones

Tijana

Gorjan

Toni

Martin

Nikola

Sonja

Solène

Isaac Asimov

Helen Mirren

Leonard Nimoy

Rosalind Elsie Franklin

Vincent Price

Simone de Beauvoir

Tatsuya Nakadai

Forest Whitaker
Scene from Zardoz (1973)

Mark Rothko in front of his painting 

A photo from the set of The Seventh Seal (1957)

Jorge Luis Borges

Jane Goodall with chimp

Corals growing on a sculpture by Jason deCaires Taylor

Kirk Douglas in Paths of Glory (1957)

Bettie Page